Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Divine Appointment

In the last 5 years I have had losses of animals and someone close to me. The most recent was my cat of 19 and 1/2 years. ( My standard poodle of 12 years died in 2005.)I was determined I was done with pets. I could not stand the heartbreak of another loss. I just thought I would enjoy everyone else's pets. (And my wonderful grandkids and grandpets.) My niece Tina had been encouraging me to get another dog for sometime now. I remember telling her that God would have to just about literally bring one to my doorstep if that was what He wanted for me. (Well, Maggie Mae came from a city practically in my back yard from where I'd grown up.)


Talking to my sister one day (and this had to be God as He always seems to prompt me to call her when He has something for her to tell me, which I think is so neat), and she told me I needed to find a purpose for my life and I needed a new pet (dog) for a companion. That day I did think about what she'd said and before going to sleep that night, I did ask God to show me just what His purpose for my life was now. I'd asked this before but at that time had not gotten an answer. The very next day I was listening to the Animal Planet Channel while doing something on my computer and I heard the words "therapy dogs" which immediately caught my attention! I thought, after listening to what they were saying, "this is something I could do and would enjoy". For the next several days everytime I turned around it seemed I was hearing something on therapy dogs! So I began an online search for a dog that needed rescuing. I'd had several dogs through the years, and had always gotten a puppy from someone who'd bred them. All were purebreds although some did not have papers, which was not important to me (including two standard poodles, two great danes, one bluetick coonhound and one afghan hound... but not all at the same time!). Anway, the next week I went to a bible study at a friend's church and one lady started talking about working with kids with low self esteem with nature and animals! Goodnight! God was talking to me again! And this woman said she could help get me started in classes for working with my dog for therapy. I replied that would be great, but I needed to get a dog first!
I continued my search online for a rescued dog, putting in a few applications for adoptions. Then my niece found an online ad for a great dog to go free to a great home. The family loved her but needed to give her up for personal reasons. She responded for me, as it was in her local area. Well, long story short, I made the trip to see the dog and I was definitely smitten with her personality. So she came home with me. She is a great personality for a therapy dog. Very loving, cuddly and generally all around a pleasure to be around. Her coat is soft and anyone who pets her will get a nice fuzzy feeling for it. It will take time for us to totally bond before we start the classes. Right now we are just getting to know each other, and when the time is right for the classes and to proceed to go to work, God will let me know, I have no doubt. God is so amazing because the very first person this precious Maggie Mae has been therapy for is me! I am opening my heart to loving again and looking beyond myself and my grief. I will post more adventures we have (and some things I am already discovering about Maggie Mae and myself) in the future.

5 comments:

Tina. said...

Wow! What a powerful post and it will be an inspiration to others I am sure! Thank you for being willing to open your home to rescue a dog in need of a home but also your heart. I am sure both you and Maggie Mae will touch the hearts of whomever you come into contact with. I know I will be reading to see what comes next!

Sunny said...

I couldn't say it any better than Tina already did! Love your blog title too!I too am looking forward to reading every word of your adventures. Love you, Sis! And thanking the Lord for His awesomeness!

soulbrush said...

i was so touched to read yours and tina's account of how maggie mae came to be yours. just meant to be. full stop. will follow along with you and hope to see you on dot every week.

GoldenTracks said...

So glad you and Maggie Mae were brought together. Pet therapy will be a great purpose for both of you (note to self- do as I say). Getting a new pet never replaces those we have lost, they just take the pain away and fill that huge void in our hearts.
Best to you and Maggie Mae. I look forward to following your adventures.

Renna said...

What an awesome divine appointment! I look forward to following the process of Maggie Mae in your life, and in the lives of others, when you begin training.