Thursday, March 12, 2009

Dogs On Thursday Post





Harness vs. collar.
Who'd have thought? I had always had the impression that walking a dog with a choker collar would yield more control. In some instances, I suppose it does. But I was having difficulties walking MaggieMae with a collar as she would be so excited she would constantly pull untll we were returning from our walk, when she was calmer. The other morning I ran into a woman who has a kennel near me who told me she had a large size harness that would most likely fit MaggieMae and if I liked it, I could have it for her. So I walked MaggieMae over to the kennel that night (and she was a perfect lady inside the kennel even meeting a very handsome Golden Retriever!) and my friend fitted the harness to her.
The harness goes around the front of her chest, and has a quick release loop that goes over her back and around her chest behind her legs. I walked her for about 20 to 30 minutes with it on, and she did wonderfully! She was so calm and didn't pull at all. I'd say MaggieMae likes the harness better too! I could hardly believe it! It has the attach loop at the front so it can be used from either side (I prefer her right side, her to my left). And this is so much easier on my arm (and my arthritic right knee)! Keeping her walking by my side is a breeze now, and as I want to use her for therapy eventually, this is so totally awesome! Another blessing from a friend and a wonderful God who knows all our needs, even before we ask!

8 comments:

Tina. said...

That is just so awesome! And what another good friend you have (the lady who owns the kennel). And Maggie Mae making all kinds of doggy friends too!

GoldenTracks said...

I love harnesses. They are so much better for the dog and this type is great for control without force.

Sue said...

We have a couple of those Easy Walker harnesses. They really work great on dogs that like to pull. You and MaggieMae were made for each other.

Nichole said...

Welcome to Dogs on Thursday!

A Blog In The Rough said...

It's great when you find something that works and your walks are much more pleasant.
Welcome to Dogs on Thursday! :)

dogquilter said...

i love harnesses too! glad this will make your walks better now.

Cat said...

Welcome to DOT! We're happy to have you join us!

dogyarnfun said...

I think Ginger could use on of these. She is a notorious puller.