Thursday, May 21, 2009

Happy DOT to All You "Hunting Dogs"

Sometimes now I feel bad for MaggieMae. She seems to have put the squirrels on notice, and when I let her out in the mornings, she runs and bounds out to chase them away, and alas, there is nothing there! Occasionally I see her looking up a tree. I guess they have gotten wise to her at last. She so enjoyed the chase and now looks kind of dejected when there is none. I am glad to not have the little tree rats in my yard as much, but I hate to see her with no "game".

Yesterday we did have a bit of a surprise on our walk. I took her back a path we'd taken frequently in the late winter and early spring, before the green grass and foliage took over. Suddenly something large sprung from the thickets and bounded away... it was a deer. She sure thought the chase was on and I had to hang on with all my strength, and turn her back the way we'd come. She would have chased it to Lord knows where if she'd not been on the leash! She sure has a strong hunting instinct, whatever her mix is! So now she sits and watches the little critters on the "other side" of the fence. This time it was a rabbit in the neighbor's yard.


Well, as I was writing this I heard her barking outside. I went to see what got her attention, and it was a cat in the field behind us. At first I thought it was a groundhog (they have burrows there) until I saw it run away. Perhaps my sympathy for her is a little misplaced, she can still find occasions to get excited over a "possible" hunt!

6 comments:

knittinwolf said...

Great pic....such anticipation! That would of scared me to have the deer jump out like that...here it would've been a coyote or mountain lion. Whew!! Have a great DOT!

Sue said...

I'm sure she enjoys guarding her yard from the invaders.

Sunny said...

Great picture of Maggie mae!

Tina. said...

What a good dog, guarding your flowers and plants that way! No acorns being buried there or cats peeing in the flower pots! Good girl Maggie! P.S. Did you enjoy your night out visiting with your cousin Sara?

dogyarnfun said...

MaggieMae looks on guard, waiting for some pesky squirrel to dare enter her yard.

Serendipity said...

What a good squirrel patrol and watchdog! Maggie Mae is such a sweetie too!