Thursday, June 25, 2009

Bird Dog on Thursday?

I got up early for our walk on wednesday morning to get it done before it got too hot. We had a bit of excitement when we got back. I let MaggieMae loose in the back yard and she caught a baby bird (a robin about half grown). It was hurt but I am not sure if it was before she caught it or if she hurt it. I told her to let it go (and again she surprised me when she did what I said). Then she laid down next to it, "guarding it". I had to grab her collar to bring her into the house. Next I went out to get the shovel. I wasn't sure if I should whack it and put it out of it's misery (which I would hate doing) or just shovel it up and try to put it out of the yard, and let nature take it's course. It was till alive but momma bird was squawking at me, and I managed to just kind of shoo it (it moved as I neared it) out of the yard and it went through the fence and into the neighbor's yard, and stayed there. Before I let MaggieMae out again I checked to see if it had moved from near the fence and it had not, but it did when I went near it. It actually hopped up on some boards, so maybe it will live anyway. I guess it's up to God, as is all life. It's His to give or take away.

I thougth later maybe I should have tried to take a picture, but then a wounded bird didn't seem like a good picture to post. So this is another pictureless post. I am thinking of updating with a new camera soon, maybe in a week or so. Hopefully then I will have good pictures to post occasionally!

3 comments:

Tina. said...

I love your pictures! New camera ought to be fun though. One hint try to find one with a veiw finder as well as the digital screen. On sunny days I can't see the screen and it is a miracle my pictures turn out at all.

GoldenTracks said...

You'd be surprised how Mother Nature takes care of wounded birds. When they are injured it takes several hours for them to get over the shock and then they get better as long as no other predators find them.

Good for you Re: camera. I might suggest a Kodak EasyShare. That's what I have. I've taken more than 9000 photos with it. I love it. Easy to use and the software that comes with it makes editing really easy.

Sunny said...

It is hard for me to picture you whacking anything with a shovel, let alone a helpless ittle birdie, LOL.
Maggie Mae sounds like a very smart dog! I think you got a good one there!