Sunday, November 8, 2009

November Motorcycle Ride~~ Whoohoo!

I have always had a love for motorcycle riding. I think I came by it honestly as my dad had owned two Indian motorcycles before I was born. My earliest memory of riding was behind my older brother as a teenager, as he rode with his future brother-in-law. Back then there were no helmet laws (50's-60's) and I had long hair and had to put a scarf over it to keep it from getting tangled in the wind. But oh how I loved the ride!!

Basically all my life I had to ask someone to "take me for a ride on your motorcycle". That is until I turned 34. That was the year I went crazy! I got my hair cut short (fit into a helmet better), got my ears pierced, and bought my first motorcycle! Then I asked a guy I knew who'd taken me for rides to teach me how to ride... I put 22,000 miles on my first motorcycle in 3 years. It was a 440cc Kawasaki. In 1985 I traded it in (paid for) for a 1985 Kawasaki 700(cc) LTD. I've had that one ever since. It's a wonderful bike, with a shaft drive (no chain to oil) and long ago paid for and doesn't owe me a thing! Here I am at 61 and I find it hard to believe I've been riding for 27 years now! I have a lifetime membership in the American Motorcyclist Association, which I have belonged to also for 27 years, and that came when I'd been a member for 25 years.

My late husband also rode and we had many good rides together. Now it is sometimes difficult going out by myself even though I was riding before I met him. But days like today, after I had gotten more leaves cleaned up from my back yard, and it was in the middle 60's temperature, I said, "I gotta do it!" So I grabbed the following items, essential for a ride... A pair of sunglasses (which I forgot to get a picture of, but I think you know what they look like...).

Gloves and bike keys.

Good boots for riding.

My fullface helmet, leather jacket, cellphone for emergencies, wallet with drivers license (which I have had M class for motorcycles since I took my first motorcycle driving test and passed), and some cash for gas.

Next of course was The Bike! I had the tank painted some years ago to suit me, with roses of course! And a cross on the tank as well.

I keep my bike insurance coverage year round just in case we get a day like today. In fact when I started riding in 1982, it was 70 degrees on Christmas Day and New Years Day, both! And did I ride? Of course I did!! There were times when I was younger I had a snowmobile suit and rode at 32 degrees if the roads were clear. Well, age has slowed down that but so thankful for days like today, when 60+ degrees gets my desire up again!! I just hope I can keep riding for a few more years, Lord willing.

5 comments:

Sunny said...

You go Girl!! Whoohoo!I am sure brother Russ would be cheering you on. Maybe he is up there riding on the King's highway,do you suppose??

Rose said...

:-)... Yepper!

Charli and me said...

How wonderful Rose! I always say follow your dreams. It sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Things are never the same when we lose someone we love but like you say, we can still find a way to have joy doing things we used to do together.

Sue said...

Have fun!!!

That Tamie Chick said...

LOL! I remember when you were riding during the holiday season in '82, you got sunburnt ( sunburned?) on the tops of your hands! Goodness, if we could have that weather again this year!!
Good to see you this evening!! love you!