Friday, June 18, 2010

In Memory ~ Beautiful Grand-Dog ~ Sara

Received news from a tearful daughter tonight, their beloved german shorthaired pointer, Sara had passed on. She'd been showing signs of deterioration the last few days. In fact they'd had a scare about two weeks ago when she was acting a bit strange. Sara was 11 yrs. old.

One of my first memories of this dog was when they first got her. My daughter Kim was going to give her a bath in the bathtub, and asked for help. So I got right along side her and together we gave her the first bath in their house. She'd been my favorite grand-dog ever since. This was the gentlest dog I have ever known. Although she was of a hunting breed, that was not for her. She was more a home dog. Good watch dog, and so very patient and understanding with three little girls who would poke and prod and pull ... and she never once even growled at any of them! When I would go to my daughter's house, Sarah would come running to greet me with the grandkids, as if to say, "Grandma's here, grandma's here!" Even when MaggieMae would go with me to visit while I was babysitting the four year old earlier this year, Sarah was never territorial at all. She greeted her with the usual sniffs and then would walk away as if to say, "ok" and go lay down in one of her favorite spots.

She will be missed. She was "Sweet Sara".

6 comments:

Maggie Mae said...

Such sad news about Sarah.
Puppy prayers are on the way to all of you.

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

Serendipity said...

Sorry to hear that. Sara sounded like a real sweetheart. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Nichole said...

So very sorry to hear.... hugs to all!

Charli and me said...

It's always sad to hear of the loss of a beloved pet. They come into our homes and win our hearts. I think that is the hardest part about being a pet owner and one that mostlikey deters others from ever getting a pet. I'm so sorry for your families loss.

Sue said...

Sara was beautiful. I'm sure her family is devastated. It's so hard to say goodbye to these furry family members.

Charli and me said...

Just stopped by to wish you a Happy Fourth of July.